In today’s world, it’s hard to ignore the pressing issues that surround us. From the growing concerns about environmental sustainability to the cost-of-living crisis. But on an everyday level, how can we make a difference when it seems like everything has a negative impact on the environment and our bank account?
- Buy with Purpose: Products that Make a Difference
We would like to introduce Discounted, a sustainable and economical online retail store. Their mission is two-fold, avoid contributing to unnecessary commercial waste whilst providing high-quality products at affordable prices.
Unlike other online stores, Discounted continues to update their stock with new inventory, with each item limited in availability, simply trying to find the right home. Since February 2023, long-standing friends Ben Gaughan and Joe Beastall have saved over 1,000 items from landfill, equating to over £30,000 worth of products. Discounted is on track to save £100,000 worth of household items by summer 2024.
They sell brand new products that are new, customer return, excess, clearance, and liquidation stock, offering unbeatable discounts that Amazon and other online marketplaces cannot compete with. This sustainable business model creates the perfect win-win situation for the demanding commercial sector, making a positive impact on both the environment and people’s bank accounts.
- Commercial Waste and The Role of Sustainability
In a world where the environment is facing unprecedented challenges, sustainability has become more than just a buzzword – it’s a way of life. Immediate concerns relate to the bigger picture (e.g., climate change, deforestation, and pollution) but its’ impact is much greater. Sustainability is also about:
- Safeguarding our health and well-being (e.g., cleaner air, safer food sources, reduced exposure to harmful chemicals),
- Strengthening the economy (e.g., increasing innovation, creating green jobs, reducing costs)
- Overall resilience (e.g., building resilience in communities and nations to ensure we have the resources and infrastructure to withstand the unexpected.
Discounted specifically relates to reducing the environmental burden of commercial waste.
The UK generates approximately 200 million tonnes of waste each year, and a significant portion of this comes from the commercial sector. Alarmingly, only around 41% of commercial waste is recycled, and managing this high level of waste costs local authorities, businesses, and taxpayers millions of pounds annually. Improper disposal practices can lead to soil and water pollution, habitat destruction, and greenhouse gas emissions.
Discounted is solely based on sustainable procurement – that is, sourcing products from wholesale suppliers and selling them for a fraction of the retail price. Discounted is working on addressing this issue with a multi-faceted approach:
- Customer Awareness: Raising awareness about the environmental and economic impact of their choices and encourage responsible consumption by promoting the benefits of waste management.
- Regulatory Support: Implement simplified and streamlined waste regulations which can inform customers and businesses about saving money and improving reputation.
- Waste Reduction Strategies: Adopt further waste reduction in terms of minimising packaging and using eco-friendly materials.
- Circular Economic Principles: Promote practices where products and materials are designed to be reused, refurbished or recycled.
- Collaboration: Continue to foster collaborations among businesses and environmental organisations to create a coordinated effort in addressing commercial waste.
Fortunately, in 2019, the UK government announced a legally binding target to achieve net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050. This means the UK aims to balance the amount of greenhouse gases emitted with the amount removed from the atmosphere, effectively ending its contribution to climate change.
- The Future of Shopping is Here
After receiving high demand on existing marketplaces such as Facebook and Next Door (over 2,000 views a month), Discounted has created their own website: www.discountedonline.co.uk. You can subscribe now to be notified via email when their website goes live.
Currently, they showcase three collections.
- Electrical: Lamps & lighting, fans & humidifiers, cameras, etc.
- Non-electrical: Plant pots, cutlery sets, tote bags, cosmetics, candles, toys, and general household items etc.
- Seasonal: Christmas wreaths, baubles, trees, games, and toys etc.
It’s important to mention that this list is not exhaustive as Discounted continually updates their stock with new products, so keeping checking back! Alternatively, you can see previously sold products on their Reviews page via Instagram (@discounted_uk) or their website. One example below:
Mohammed – ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wi-Fi Multi-Colour LED Ceiling Lights
RRP: £151.99 / Discounted: £50
“I purchased this item which was £151.99 on Amazon but using Discounted services I got an amazing deal for only a third of the retail price. Furthermore, communication is quick, responsive, and concise. Would definitely recommend purchasing from there.”
Finally, in terms of communication, Discounted also offers a unique solution. They have created a Discounted WhatsApp group to promote exclusive offers, early access to products and tailored discounts.
Although you will not be able to send messages in the group chat (this is to avoid spam), you can contact Ben & Joe directly anytime, anywhere. Given the importance of customer satisfaction, this provides a great opportunity to offer personalised support to discuss prices, product specifications and collection/delivery information.
Join us in reshaping the way we shop, where sustainability and affordability harmoniously coexist to make a positive impact on both our lives and the environment, thank you.